Need Help With Tylan, Please!

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
I'm pretty positive my RIR has CRD. I want to administer Tylan, but don't want to do it by giving an injection. (I'm petrified to and have no idea how anyway).

Does anyone know where I can get water soluable Tylan? Has anyone ever found it at TSC?

I don't mean to be inpatient, but anyone??
idunno.gif

My RIR is very rhaspy and I noticed my black sex link seems to be panting more then usual off and on.

Okay, I just called SS and TSC. Neither have water soluable Tylan. Both places told me that Terramycin is the same thing. I know I've read on BYC that it is not the same. Besides, I've given my chickens the Terramycin for just two days straight and there was no difference at all.

By the way, the eggs I've collected during that time...can I feed them back to the chickens?

You could try a search (on Google, or Dogpile) for water soluable Tylan to find a source then order it?
That's how I always find my stuff....
I hope your RIR recovers.....

You can usually get it from your veterinarian also. If you are treating crd I would recommend LS-50 (powder). It has two antibiotics and Tylan is getting overused.

It is easy to give injections.

Last edited:
I was terrified too ... and I'm a nurse! My DH says I shouldn't admit that, but I was afraid of their reaction and wasn't really sure of their anatomy.
BUT, it is very easy and NONE of the chickens screamed or squirmed like I thought they would. Even my BIG BR rooster. They were not afraid of me when I came to them (they were in seperate cages/crates). In fact, because I had to handle them and took the time to love on them while I had hold of them, they are much more sociable.
So don't be afraid. The injectable is much cheaper and TSC has all the supplies you need. I would just say that you really do need a new needle for each shot -- it goes in so much easier and quicker and is over before you know it. TSC sells packs of needles -- you only need one syringe.
GOOD LUCK!

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/newsletr/1996/psep96.pdf
Chicken
Medications
by Dr. James Barton and Clarence Gillihan
(excerpt)
".....Bacterial Diseases:
Purchase a bottle of Tylan 50 and several 3cc
syringes with 25 to 30 gauge 1/2" needles. Give your hen 1 to 1 1/2 cc. of Tylan under the skin of the neck .........Continue daily injections for three days but not more than five. Withdrawal time is one month. Tylan does not have much activity against coccidia, but it is very good against Mycoplasma bacteria which is responsible for some respiratory diseases.

To inject Tylan 50, pull the hens feathers back
to reveal the skin on base of the the neck on her back.
Lift the skin up and insert the needle gentlty but firmly into the skin just far enough to allow the Tylan to be injected. You will be able to feel it. Be careful that you do not inject yourself. Make certain that you do not push the needle through the skin and out again not injecting
at all...........................
Because Tylan is so powerful, it is recommended
that you purchase some Beneficial Bird Bacteria
and feed it to your chicken after she recovers.
Tylan wipes out all the benficial bacteria that is normally present in a chickens digestive system. Also, Tylan can kill skin cells near the site of the injection so you should not use anything stronger than Tylan 50 - a stronger variety, Tylan-200 is also available at your local feed store, but this will likely do more harm than good.
When purchasing syringes, get them from a
local drug store. The 'human' grade needles are a little sharper than the vetrinary grade. The cost is about the same and your hen will thank you...."

ETA: Here is an article with illustrations on the injection technique :
http://www.lahinternational.com/pdf/VaccineAdmin/TS2_-_Subcutaneous_Injection_LAHI.pdf

Last edited:
Jeffers equine has it, it's pricey no matter where, but about $30 plus for a jar, but it has lasted me awhile. They ship fast too. You can buy Baytril in liquid form w/o RX from AllBirdProducts.com It's pricy too but works on things others don't. P.s, I use either of these in a small bowl or I don't fill the waterer all the way full so I don't have to waste too much of it.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom